We’ve all been waiting for the release of many Hollywood movies this year. Among them, the ones we think will be worth the wait are listed below. Check them out.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past – A slew of handsome hunks like Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy with their ripped bodies in tight pants, and a svelte Jennifer Lawrence wearing (?) a painted-on costume, are what await you in this latest superhero movie from Marvel Comics due to be released on May 23rd. Are handsome and beautiful people enough to watch a movie – you ask? Oh wait, there is, of course, a story: The characters from the original X-Men film trilogy join forces with their younger selves from X-Men: First Class in a battle that must change the past – to save their future. Sound a bit far-fetched? Well, what else do you expect from a comic book to movie adaptation with this being the sixth big movie from the superhero franchise?
Who with: Watch your boyfriend’s eyes turn all mushy as you gift him a couple of tickets for his favorite sci-fi comic book series!
- How to Train Your Dragon 2 – One of the beloved animated movies of our time, How to Train Your Dragon, is coming out with the second movie of a trilogy this June 13th. Loosely based on the book series of the same name by Cressida Cowell, it is one of the most anticipated flicks of this year. The heroic Viking Hiccup and his faithful dragon Toothless must protect the peace, and save the future of men and dragons from the power-hungry Drago.
Who with: With more dragons, more flying, and of course, more romance between Hiccup and Astrid, this movie is for all those who wish they could ride a dragon too
- Her – Have you ever wondered if you could have a relationship with just a voice? Without an actual face to connect with the voice? Well, that’s something that is explored in this movie. Theodore Twombly, played by Joaquin Phoenix, a lonely and soulful writer, is heartbroken over his impending divorce with his childhood sweetheart. To beat his loneliness, he purchases a new, advanced OS, which is designed to meet his every need. Upon initiating it, he meets “Samantha”, a bright, female voice, who is insightful, sensitive, and surprisingly funny. As they have deep, meaningful conversations about love, life, desire, and relationships, their friendship deepens into an eventual love for each other. Since the movie is set in LA in the not-too-distant future, it’s plot is plausible.
Who with: Promising to be poignant and moving, this movie is best watched with a loved one who is there to hold your hand through the touching parts, pun intended 😉
- The Fault in Our Stars – Due for release on June 6th, in this movie adaptation of one of the most talked about and critically acclaimed YA novels of 2013, a 16 year old girl stricken with cancer falls for a boy from her cancer support group. The two youngsters bolster each other’s spirits with humor as they bravely face an uncertain future. Although there’s bound to be some trepidation among some of the book’s fans whether or not the movie will live up to it, this is going to be one of those indie movies which is sure to pull at your heartstrings and make you go ‘Awwwww’.
Who with: My advice? Watch this with someone who can provide a shoulder for you to cry on and keeps the tissues handy 😉
- Big Eyes – The unlikely pair of Amy Adams, the enchanted princess and Christoph Waltz, the ruthless Nazi officer, come together as a couple entangled in a heated divorce battle in this biopic directed by Tim Burton. The film which is set to release on August 28th, focuses on the awakening of painter Margaret Keane, her phenomenal success in the 1950s, and the subsequent legal difficulties she had with her husband Walter Keane, who claimed credit for her works in the 1960s. Although divorce has become a part of our society, it devastates both the people involved in it. But the good thing about this movie is that the shy, artistic woman finally learns to come into her own and stands up for herself.
Who with: Best watched with your loved one to know what not to do to ruin your relationship.
- Serena – Slated to release on September 24th, this upcoming drama film brings together the quirky pair of Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, where they play newlyweds Serena and George Pemberton. Based on the novel of the same name, it is set in the Depression-era North Carolina, and follows their struggles as the future of George’s timber empire becomes complicated when it is learned that his wife cannot bear children. Sounds a bit serious? Well, life is filled with the good, the bad and the ugly times. The best part about life is, there is surely light at the end of the tunnel.
Who with: Watch it with your better half so that you might reinforce the thought that you need to be there for each other through thick and thin.